Childhood frustration often shapes adult ambition.
Did I recall that right?
My visit to Phaikoh village along Myanmar border threw up a stunning and never done or happened experience.
A group of children were playing football. Of course, my unplanned tour coincided with football world cup - the flavour of the season. A couple of them could speak English; but they stayed away. One of them addressed his friends and said - "Vai naupang". I knew I was being called an 'outsider'. A young boy was smart enough. He was specific ... he said "Indian, Indian".
Slowly, he gathered courage even as I kept persisting and he spoke to me opening up the level he could. "My ambition is to be a pilot .. flying above our village", he said shyly. He had reasons to say so as his elders tell me, enough choppers fly overhead often bombing neighbouring hamlets in Myanmar.
Their mate's ambition only make the children laugh. One of them said - "I want to be English teacher".
Blogger with his 'hosts' - the village children
The conversation was just entering an interesting phase. A few elders came across the road and started saying something. The children declined to talk further .. saying -- "scolding scolding".
Phaikoh is a small rural village located in the Kamjong-Chassad sub-division of the Kamjong district in Manipur.
It has a population of around 390 people across 81 households.
Originally administered under the Ukhrul district, it became part of the newly carved Kamjong district in 2016 -- one of the last and yet lasting decisions of the Congress veteran and the then CM, Ibobi Singh.
![]() |
| Flowers |
![]() |
| Guns |
The village has seen enough hardships. Since Feb 2026 as the Tangkhul Naga-Kuki clashes resurfaced; the village's connectivity is hit.
"We even do not have enough rice grains. ... we are thankful to Assam Rifles, some supplies of essential is maintained," said village council chairman Thangsai Touthang. His elder daughter works with CISF in Hyderabad and the other one is an Air India hostess. "I want to stay back here ... because I cannot leave my people at this time of crisis," he says also adding that his wife has been shifted to "safe Churachandpur' (a Kuki-stronghold pocket).
The day I met him - final of the world cup was yet to be played. But he was categorical about his decision - "I am supporting Spain for the finals".
A glimpse of Kuki-Tangkhul clash
Village chairman and a supporter of Spain
Happy Family :: "Don't remember when we fell in love"
![]() |
| Messi was missing !! |
For others, the life may not be so simple or carefree. The old couple are such strugglers. Both speak meekly - unsure of their language just as they are unsure on whether evening food is ensured.
On return from such a poorly maintained village (largely reeling under hatred of Tangkhul Nagas and uncertainty of what happens in Myanmar); I tried to reflect upon on some of the pathos of mankind.
Especially for the football-playing children I thought -- Success for some of them will be more of a survival strategy than 'pure joy'.
Achievements may work as shield against vulnerability.
But there is always the other side of the coin.
Ambition in childhood can turn into exasperation (perhaps more than just frustration) when a child's grand dreams collide with the reality.
It is then == they pick up arms.
Business backed by Militancy : Money beyond borders
Lucrative business : Size of tree trunk
And the cycle continues.
The overall experience is one of simplicity and connection with nature and local traditions, suitable for those who appreciate slow travel and cultural immersion.
Displaced Populations:
Escalating conflicts between Kuki and Tangkhul Naga communities have forced families in border areas to evacuate their homes and seek safety in nearby camps or to go far off Churachandpur.
Authorities and also Tangkhul Naga women have enforced strict prohibitory orders and deployed forces and others to contain 'movement' of Kukis and possible retaliatory arson and armed flare-ups across vulnerable Kamjong villages.
But the timber business goes on. There is a conspiracy of lawbreakers, commercial stakeholders and militancy.
Law and order enforcing agencies, the state police, forest department and central forces such as Assam Rifles know the stories and hands behind.
Now that the NSCN-IM (Eastern Flank) has said there is no ceasefire; these forces are also battle-ready. They may only need the green flag; that is the right orders.
Back in Delhi, I discussed these issues with a retired military officer.
He said: "Look around what's going on in Jantar Mantar. People approve protest and hooliganism. But when an uniformed soldier picks up the innocuous Lathi; 'asman toot padta hae (heaven falls)".
My thoughts get embroiled into -- words and phrases such as Burnout and Unhealed blueprints.
I still wonder - Reaching milestones often fails to fix internal pain because the ambition runs on unhealed blueprints.
'Never feeling satisfied' ... is 'burnout' and this could lead to endless pressure and isolation.
ends











No comments:
Post a Comment