"Now time is changing, I told them (RSS leaders). Changing times and changing vision. There is an ever-changing phenomena, that is time is ever changing phenomena and nobody can stop it. Nobody can Change it too... because God is our Cross," veteran Naga leader S C Jamir told a press conference in Dimapur on Saturday (Sept 12).
Former chief minister, who served under Nehru as Parliamentary Secy, was Governor in Gujarat, Maharaashtra, Goa and Odisha.
Jamir had met RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat in Delhi on Sept 10. The meeting lasted more than an hour.
 |
| S C Jamir flanked by social activist Therja Therieh and ex IAS H K khulu |
"You cannot delay it...," he said perhaps referring to various problems confronting the Naga society.
"That means we have to change our thoughts, our minds we have to change according to times," the 95-year-old emphasised.
"So even to RSS (leaders) I told them, your philosophy was different in pre-independence days, but today your philosophy ... you are in tune with the changing times," Jamir added.
"This is a very important press conference as far as I am concerned. I had decided to meet RSS chief because of a lot of confusion in the minds of our people regarding RSS, BJP and many other things.
But no one has gone to the roots. Therefore I decided that I should meet personally the chief of RSS.
My intention was to clarify certain things which I have already mentioned in my speech which I distributed just now.
There I have given what we think about the Constitution and what constitutional history, the background I have given a little bit.
Apart from that I have raised certain issues today."
 |
| Jamir met Bhagwat on Sept 10 - a day before Bhagwat's birthday |
"What (who) is an Indian? I ask. What makes an Indian? There is unity in diversity. When we go to area of why you go to Maharashtra, Nagaland, then Tripura, then mountains, we have seen heavy mountains, you find different cultures...," Jamir told the media in Dimapur.
Understandably, Bhagwat had invited Jamir for the dialogue.
The RSS chief just had an extensive tour of three nations - the US, Canada and the UK.
Sources told this blogger both the leaders also discussed about Bhagwat's trip overseas and especially his speech in New York.
Bhagwat's interaction with S C Jamir makes a significant messaging as he is the last surviving signatory to the Naga Peace Accord of 1960 -- based on which Statehood was granted to Nagaland.
Sources said: - "It was heart to heart talk and the subject matters varied from the present socio-political conditions to philosophy and finer Constitutional matters".

Jamir reportedly said:
"As Governor of Gujarat for a brief spell, I have held official and even informal discussions on socio-economic and political matters with former RSS pracharak and the then chief minister, Shri Narendra Modi - who is now Prime Minister of India.
But anything formal and that too with a man of Shri Bhagwat's stature is first time today and hence it has a special significance. I know the RSS as a very serious social organisation with a strong commitment of its own definition of cultural nationalism."
Jamir also has stated:
"I have functioned closely in various capacities with all Prime Ministers of independent India, starting with Jawaharlal Nehru.
"But as a Naga and at this ripe age with pain in heart; I sought his intervention so that the Govt of India finally closes down on the peace negotiations and sign a final Solution agreement on Naga issues with all Naga underground factions," said 95-year-old veteran leader.
Sharing some anecdotes; Jamir told the RSS chief : "... when we say 'Hindu India' -- as an old timer; I also know this is the Bharat - which cherishes Secularism, Pluralism, mutual tolerance and love and dedication to nationhood.
"I am a born Christian and a tribal Naga. With Shri Vajpayee ji; I had shared some lighter moments once.
I told him - Sir, I have two differences with you - I am a Christian and you are a Hindu and I am a tribal Naga and you are an upper caste Hindu Brahmin.
As we all know, Vajpayeeji had a very good sense of humour. He immediately told me - "Mr Jamir, there is a third difference ... I keep talking about Akhand Bharat. But to keep our India 'akhand (un-divided)'; you have taken bullets on your body. I have never had such an honour."
Jamir underlined -- ".... the big message was -- Nagas are nationalists and patriots. During Kargil war, we gave a martyred young officer from Kohima district.
We have many civil service officials and other Naga professionals."
However, he added:
"But when it comes to some 'treatment' by some people -- we Nagas have reasons to feel unhappy and hurt to be precise."
Jamir said, during his conversation with Bhagwat; he wanted to
emphasise on the importance of "nation building of this lovely land of ours called India or Bharat."
"Our country is multi-religious and multi-cultural and this is our greatest strength. I need not repeat - but the Democracy has not only survived; but it has thrived along with unprecedented scales of Development and new heights of scientific achievements and wisdom.'
Jamir made a reference to the South Asia neighbourhood and said -
"Who on earth around 1947 would have imagined that in contrast to our giant leaps over the last seven decades; two of our neigbours Bangladesh and Pakistan are bleeding and struggling to keep Democracy alive."
"This might bring us to the crux of the debate - a Hindu India and two Islamic countries of Pakistan and Bangladesh," the former Governor of Gujarat emphasised.
"Nagas are very emotional and very touchy about our religious identity," he said adding, "I urged for some kinds of assurance from the RSS chief that his organisation directly or indirectly will never confront Church or Christians".
"We would not like programmes such as Ghar Wapsi (back to Hinduism) in states like Nagaland or in any parts of north east India."
On the critical and finer aspects of Naga talks, Jamir underlined that the "Govt of India needs to speak with authority especially with the leadership of the NSCN-IM".
He also maintained that -- all discussions on Naga talks are "over" as as stated by Nagaland Governor R N Ravi in 2020.
"But, the Sabotage or the Status Quo club want to delay the date with the Solution. For them, the sufferings of Naga people and violence is a lucrative money-minting scheme".
He urged Bhagwat to impress upon the Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah to finally sign the Solution Agreement preferably by the end of calendar year 2026".
Jamir pointed out -- the party-less Govt in Nagaland is "nothing but a shadow".
"Worse, the BJP is part of the coalition Govt and the chief minister (Neiphiu Rio) has time and again displayed favourable tilt towards one particular Naga underground".
He finally pitched for dismissal or the ouster of the NPF-BJP dispensation and said ...
"The Govt of India should help restore the normal health of the government in Nagaland under President's Rule".
ends
No comments:
Post a Comment