Thursday, April 11, 2024

Idiosyncratic .... S C Jamir ? Is the adjective okay especially before '2024 battle' ?

 Idiosyncratic .... S C Jamir ? Is the adjective okay especially before '2024 battle' ?


New Delhi 


He remains a favourite Naga politician; - one can easily write at least a few volumes of books on him. He was also a favourite punching bag --- for journalism-starters of my era in Nagaland in the 1990s and we did not miss criticizing him for everything. 


Our 'Jamir Sahab' was the coolest guy and never took things personally and whenever he had any issue he would tell it to you on face.


Had he been a little 'different' my career in journalism would have been doubtful.





He might not have enjoyed all that we wrote, but Mr S C Jamir allowed us to do whatever we did or whatever we wrote. 

 

Well, looking back, the charms of the 'Gautam Adani variety' could have made me richer and more settled in life.

But these columns would not be around nor my repeated request messages to Editors across India - 'Hello, sir and madam...please feel free to use my article....but try to pay something when you can".


Freelancing in journalism is like begging around these days especially for old school jokers who believe in the power of print. "Oh, you have something missing in you..." - screams my wife and so do many well wisher netas including in Delhi, Mumbai, Gujarat and Nagaland.


I call that part of the manufacturing defect. But parents - both deceased cannot be blamed - as my own siblings think differently.


But what about S C Jamir ? Can I call him Idiosyncratic? 


First I googled and found what Wikipedia says -- Idiosyncratic symbols mean one thing for a particular person, as a blade could mean war, but to someone else, it could symbolize a surgery.


Oh it's a Eureka moment. Veteran Jamir could be easily described by such a definition.


His brothers, other relatives including Nungshizemba and even his son Apok Jamir, former MP, do not have that.


I last met him in February second week 2024 and found him pouring out his heart when it comes to the Naga issue.


'Nagaland Page' Link


"Write on some of what I am telling you .... when I am dead," he said affectionately. I had to reassure: "Sir, I criticised you for years.... but today I can tell you; some of what you are telling me will even die with me and even if I write; I will write after 20-25 years when I shall retire in all sense especially with my health and age".


He smiled. I wished he responded this time in Ao dialect and in his typical "Jamir tone". 


"I don't like hero worshiping," he remarked rather acidly and hastened to add, 

"Nobody is better qualified to sketch own obituary than a journalist". I laughed; but shared openly: "So will be a politician like you".


But I reminded him : "Sir, once you told me politicians never lie...I still do not believe that".


Then I dragged him to talk about the 2024 elections. Here was a man who was born at the tail end of the British era. He saw elections in the 1950s. But he was in his twenties then and Nagas 'explored' the Naga movement, freedom struggle and violence.


" .... Oh, but I always did my best to keep fighting for the Naga people. Even the peace process, we struggled, it was tough. We risked our own lives," he said.


But how do you see the significance of the 2024 elections? People say even Democracy may not survive? You have seen Congress and also seen leaders such as Narendra Modi and Amit Shah from a close range -- I quizzed.


Jamir's cryptic reply was brief -- "Democracy will always survive in this country".  


ends 




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr SC Jamir is the ablest Statesman, Nationalist, true patriot who has always fought for a very realistic and pragmatic solution of Naga Peace Accord within the Constitution of India. Only this will usher in development, peace and better life for Naga people and free them from the menace of extortion.
    He is unmatched not only amongst the Naga people but the present breed of politicians.
    Wish him continued good health and long life. 🙏😀 -- Lt Gen R N Kapur, (Retd) also former GoC Nagaland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting piece, Nirendra. Absolutely right. I do agree and visualise the time when saw Mr Jamir never interfered in the business of what all the scribes of that regime most of whom were trying to pull him down or flayed him for some trifle issues. Despite having scopes of wielding his stick on anyone of his choice, Jamir preferred to toe a neutralistic and democratic view. He was a tough guy indeed but at the same time, I found him very practical as well. Perhaps, this is one of the many traits which contributed to catapult him to become of the seasoned polititian, great visionary and an able great administrator. Finally, I must admit that things are not at rosy for the journos, especially those in the private sector toiling hard but not getting their dues. That's very unfortunate part of journalism. But despite all the odds and hardship, you are doing best and are quite different from others in this business. No kidding, dear. Keep going...👍

    ReplyDelete

"DARO MAT ... BHAGO MAT - PM Modi to Rahul ...... the master stroke ??.. Congress fields Rahul Gandhi from Rae Bareli, K L Sharma from Amethi

Addressing an election rally in West Bengal's Bardhaman-Durgapur, PM Modi asserted, "The result of this election is clear. No need ...