Saturday, June 18, 2022

Peace gets a definition; Oh that's Nagaland

At times, a good newspaper like 'Nagaland Page' can work like Facebook -- connecting friends !








New Delhi 


Those Naga leaders who tend to give an 'upper hand' to Himanta Biswa Sarma on Naga affairs would do well to take a few tips from senior public figure Zhovehu Lohe.  

Thanks to 'Nagaland Page' and as my byline-articles make frequent appearances, a few old friends are getting in touch with me these days.  


It's an honour to be remembered affectionately by some senior politicians especially after they have read something written. Reading has vanished almost. Some Naga politicians were always energetic and in the1990s helped me in understanding various nuances of Naga life and politics.
Former Speaker, Zhovehu Lohe is one such person. He is also an immensely self respecting Chakhesang neta and also a practical one but never approved of 'excessive regionalism'.

In 1998, Lohe as the Speaker had an argument with Assam counterpart Ganesh Kutum in Delhi.All Speakers of northeastern states jointly submitted a memorandum to PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee.The cover page of the printed document said Memoram from NE Speakers 'led by Assam Speaker'.

Lohe said as elected Houses, all legislatures were 'same' and so none could one Speaker was leadingthe other. "I cannot give up my constitutional rights and Naga pride," he said.

The other day Lohe called me saying he has read my piece on certain interesting subjects. Quickly, we lost in tele chats in the old days. Of course, sadly, this also comes as an occasion to pay homage to Late K V Pusa, another hardcore Congressman. Pusa really left all of us too early. 

Lohe and Late Pusa were bosom friends. I was often the third element in the vehicle as we used to travel to differentplaces hopping from one hill top to another. Kohima presented a lovely experience.

Lohe knew my fondness for Vamuzo for his flamboyant style.

But Lohe had his own reasons. Once he said, "I am a Chakhesang, I know another Chakhesang leaderbetter". Did he sound somewhat angry ? Pusa would protest such remarks.

On another occasion, I argued with Pusa on then NPCC chief Shikiho Sema's conduct at the telegram officewhen the MP had destroyed the wires. Pusa was sort of justifying Shikiho. My point was "How could he do soas a Congress leader cherishing Mahatma Gandhi's principles". Mr Lohe liked my argumentand convinced Pusa that such acts were unwarranted.

Late Vamuzo as Chief Minister later slammed Shikiho's conduct. 

As Law Minister Lohe was once chief guest at Kohima's Law College. He was more than candid."I cannot say corruption will disappear....I cannot hide from you all, because you are my voters.But there has to be limits". I reported his statement and presumed Lohe would be displeased.

Surprisingly, he was not; and he later said - "At least my message has gone to many people. SometimeI find some leaders very hypocrite when they indulge in corruption but would go and address students and lecture about eradicating corruption".

True, corruption has survived every era and amid changing face of Nagaland politics. One cannot agree more.

In 2020, Lohe made news for his remarks - a “Naga Chief Minister of Manipur (Rishang Keishing) asserted that not even an inch of the Manipur territory will be budged for the Naga integration". 

I was not surprised that a leader cherishing Tenyimia spirit would say such a thing frankly.

Sometime back, he spoke about Nagaland having two 'types' of peace - Suppressed

peace and Privileged peace.

He would not explain to me in detail over the phone. But as I could understand - "Suppressed peace" -meant for a situation when common people live indoors, suffocating and doling out their share ofincome and there is 'peace' around. 'Privileged peace' is understood easily by those in power. It is a peace, tranquility of prosperity of a selectfew where they enjoy and the rest of the masses can suffer, get threatened, deal with shabby roadsand soaring price rise. And the leaders would say - "We are doing well....we are winning every election".

Nagaland is certainly still awaiting a lasting peace and Solution.

Tail piece: After he moved the official resolution in Nagaland assembly opposing the women Quota Bill for Parliament and state legislatures, I told Lohe - "You will be always remembered by the women for this resolution".

His response was : "I did so as Parliamentary Affairs Minister. But I will be also remembered for depriving Vamuzo the title of consensus Chakhesang Chief Minister; I made it clear to my party (Congress) that I will have to contest against him". 

Vamuzo was first sworn in as Chief Minister as a non-MLA as he had lost the 1989 elections from Chazouba. Chizami by-election was held as Keweze Kenye had vacated the post.


ends 




No comments:

Post a Comment

'Surat model' played up in Indore .... Congress candidate Akshay Kanti Bamb withdraws nomination and "joined BJP"

Congress's Indore candidate, Akshay Kanti Bamb, on Monday withdrew his nomination, ahead of the upcoming Lok Sabha elections. The develo...