Friday, December 24, 2021

Christmas Day Musings: Do we ever dream of things that never were ?

New Delhi:

25th Dec, 2021 ....

Do we ever dream of things that never were ?

Hedrick Smith, well known American journalist and writer, once typically wrote - Journalists are supposed to focus on what is new and fresh.

But 'musings' can always have a personal touch. In this case, it may be a little more.

This year's Christmas has an overwhelming Naga and Nagaland flavour. That's not a normal cup of tea. But rather a case of storm in the tea cup !



My father's emphatic lifelong verdict to me "You think like a Naga" actually has left a mesmerizing impact.


Is that correct ? Am I really so stubborn at times ? When I left my first job, I was really stubborn.

In Delhi, when I alongside my Mizo friend H C Vanlalruata - Ruata to near and dear ones - fought the powerful and unreasonable management of a premier news organisation - PTI - everyone said we were being stubborn.

Of course, this Christmas, people in Nagaland are also sad and angry! The Oting violence was strictly an avoidable mistake, if the argument of 'mistaken identity' is to be believed.

A gap has been created between security forces and the Nagas. One only wishes that that 'gap' does not spillover into Naga-non Naga relationship. As a Non-Naga, I do cherish the bond with Nagas - some of them are my best friends and have been best of well wishers.


Personally, what makes me so 'excited' about Nagas and the Naga way of life and thinking is something unique.


A kind of a typical casual approach and a latent anarchy in Naga life initially surprised me the most; and slowly I started admiring that.

You visit a Naga in his house and most likely he would take you inside the kitchen little bothered that even women in the house could be not prepared to receive a guest. But the chief host would not mind, He would say, "Morning time, it's lunch time for Nagas. Let us all eat what we have". 

The hostess - the mother of the house or the friend's wife could be shy. "We have nothing special for you".

But the host would not be hesitant a bit. He will pull you and make you sit and eat- baked beans, half boiled cabbage. That would be vegetarian dish. For rest of us - pieced pork and fat pieces spicy in gravy would make one mad.

In short, a place of big hearts and large appetites. 

Move out to another scene. Your friend insists he should drop you to your hotel or the meeting place. "I will take my car...let's go".

So, he would drive you to the spot and on the way, he would buy you costly gifts - may be a priceless Naga shawl or other handloom items for you and even your family!

Despite you saying no, he pays !

After you are reached there; he will now surprise you, "Give me 200 bucks...I have to get petrol. I have no more cash, and do not want to ask my wife".

You will love that ! The spectacle was in keeping with the Naga life. The brawniness ! 

The anarchy. 

Our illustrious Peseiye sahab

Now onto a different context:

Just a few months back, we lost a senior Naga friend K. Peseiye ( K for Kevikienyu ). He was Director heading the Information and Public Relations Department when I just started off as a journo. I think the phrase 'latent anarchy' would apply to him easily. 

His son Kedo Peseyie may not agree, and he has every right. 


But there used to be a 'helpful' Naga approach when he was to deal with 'raw hands' like me. "You are raw, a baccha(kid)" - he would say often. Enlisting 'governmental assistance' from the Information Department is always a boon for a starter in the profession. And I got plenty of that.

Of course, my friend Chipeni Merry was in his team as the Editor for a fascinating 'sarkari magazine' - 'The Warrior'. In later years, she would scream at me urging to 'leave Nagaland' - "You rot here". 

There were more than one reason for this. Nagaland also used to be a place where threat letters were quite usual. Affectionately, we called them 'Love Letters'. Chipeni when came to know about certain ugly episodes with me from locals would say - " Do not worry, I will accompany you now on".


Later on she became a Joint Director and our friendship continues even up to this day. "You land in Dimapur, and return without meeting me, you will have it," that is her usual warning even up to this day. 

So pork in Lotha style is ensured for a foodie Bong !


An Angami local: Says drinking Zutho is his first love

Another typical Naga virtue is the ability to laugh at oneself. Peseiye sahab was 'retired' when he was still taking a message from Chief Minister Vamuzo. A whimsical decision was taken under which Nagaland government servants were to retire 'immediately' on completion of 33 years of service or 57 years of age - whichever is earlier.

When he came back to his office, he told his PA, "I am a retired oldie now...and still you take this message. This news should come in today's Naga News bulletin". Some of us were in his room waiting for the 'breaking news' from the Chief Minister and we saw his eyes turn pale as he had 'lost' the job by that evening.

We wanted to speak for a while, but he could not. It would be difficult for anybody who still had few years of service to go ! Yet, he smiled towards me, 

"Look here, I had recommended you to 'Assam Tribune', do not fail me. You have started well. But from tomorrow, there will not be any Chow Mein or puri-sabzi for you in this office".


That's true, my stringer-arrangements with 'The Assam Tribune' was his blessing and confidence in a youngster. Only few people perhaps my Guru Asheem Poddar and B N Goswami of UNI knew that case was recommended by Peseiye sahab.

"This is Nagaland. Don't tell your future wife or any Naga girl friend that I am recommending you" - the message had the love of a man, who also knew how to shout when he was displeased. 


Hostess Chipeni ji in her Dimapur bungalow !

No single piece or even a couple of them can embrace all that is 'Naga' or even virtues of a man like our dear Late Peseiye sahab.

Once he told me, "As a Hindu you must be watching TV serial 'Mahabharat' every Sunday". 

Before I could answer, he hastened to add, "I am not Hindu, and my Hindi is poor; still I watch sometimes. I like the concept of Time in that serial playing the narrator. It is also true, Time always watches us and so while you run around Naga politicians for stories and interviews; do not forget,things are ugly at times. You should not die for some silly news. A Newsman should not become 'news' yourself".

Our other colleagues including Asheem Poddar (my Guru) also used to be an admirer of Peseiye sahab.  Journalism was very demanding those days. Threat letters and 'warnings' by youths coming into news room of AIR, Kohima was an usual thing. Security forces also would not spare. Poddar and me got even 'army warnings' ! 


But all that was fun and exciting as there used to be some 'guiding elder'. Peseiye sahab would also advise us once in a while, "Do not report this...avoid meeting this guy" and so on.

Once, one underground leader Visakho Angami came to his office. After they finished their 'social talks'in Angami, I was introduced. 

And my interview with Visakho was a wonderful experience altogether. His definition of 'Naga communism' was interesting way of waxing eloquence. 

Peseiye knew well some intricacies very well. So he advised me in a commanding tone - "Don't be stupid to report that you met the underground leader in my office". I just smiled.

There was another instance. Once Chief Minister Vamuzo known for his flamboyant style said, "Officially he is not professor". This was about one of his Ministers in the cabinet.


So, I asked, "can we report this?". Vamuzo was still not realising what he was saying, and he retorted: "yes, you may if you want me to embarrass him".

Peseiye sahab was later angry with me as I could not withheld the temptation of this 'tongue-in-cheek' remarks from a Chief Minister for his own ministerial colleague. 

On another occasion, he lost cool when AIR security guard had prevented him from entering the premises without signing a paper as a 'visitor'. His argument was, "I am not going in my personal capacity. I am on duty, I need to enter. I never signed such papers here".

I was in AIR news room those days. On intercom, I said, "Please sign and come, even I sign that at times as it is a new rule specially on Sundays"

Well, that was he, our dear Peseiye sahab! 


He had interesting sense of humour. "Meet this lady, most beautiful Angami lady I have ever met. Of course, only regret is, she was never my girl friend, she is my wife".

and many more.... I can go on !!

But Musings have to stop somewhere !

PS: I often feel, I must share this !


As I grew up as an amateur journo, I thought Naga food habits have something to do with their temper, with the uniqueness. Hence, most of my visits to Nagaland House at APJ Abdul Kalam Road has one common feature - either eat there, or pack something for daughter and occasionally for her mom. 

And as I enter New Delhi's 'rented house' smiling - Tanvi can guess why I am blushing, "You must have been to Nagaland House and got some ribs".

Child is a mirror !


If eyes do not tell any story, the glass must !





ends 

2 comments:

  1. A few comments on this blog came on Whatsapp from a few well meaning friends.
    #
    One of them said -- Good writings are often the ones seasoned by a little harmless malice. ..dont you think?
    I could never appreciate plain writing..
    Appreciate style here๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another comment says - Very nice with much exaggeration ๐Ÿ˜ !! - from Dimapur

    ReplyDelete

That 'first phase' of polling has gone in favour of INDI alliance .... is a typical Leftist-style campaign by eco system: That Modi can return is a real 'worry' in Pakistan

 Prime Minister Narendra Modi has dragged Pakistan into debate in the poll season. But he had a reason as one former minster in Pakistan has...