Wednesday, December 15, 2021

A courageous and brilliant end of a man, who believed "It is okay to be mediocre" : Homage Gp. Capt Varun Singh

 President Ram Nath Kovind is in Dhaka. Still having learnt about the sad demise of Gp. Capt. Varun Singh, who was grievously injured at Dec 8 copter crash, President Kovind in a tweet said - "Sad to learn that Group Captain Varun Singh breathed his last after putting up a valiant fight for life. 

Though badly injured in the chopper crash, he displayed the soldierly spirit of valour and indomitable courage. The nation is grateful to him. My condolences to his family."  



He had recently written to the Principal of his alma mater, Army Public School in Haryana's Chandimandir Cantonment, "...It's okay to be mediocre...".

"I was a very average student who barely scored 1st division in Class 12. I was equally average in sports and other co-curricular activities. But I had a passion for airplanes and aviation..." he said.

In a moving four-page letter, Group Captain Singh talked about his time at the NDA (National Defence Academy) and the first sight of his calling - aviation. But, he wrote, he still lacked confidence in himself.

"... I always thought I was meant to be average and there was no point in trying to excel. (But) after commissioning as a young Flight Lieutenant in a fighter squadron, I realised I could do well if I put my mind and heart to it..." he said.

"It is at this point that things started to turn around in my professional and personal life. I resolved to do each task to the best of my abilities..." the Group Captain wrote.

"It is ok to be mediocre... but it is by no means a measure of things to come in life. Find your calling... whatever you work towards, do your best... never lose hope" - inspiring words from Group Captain Varun Singh - an average student till he found his calling and excelled in its pursuit.

The only survivor of the chopper crash that killed Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat, his wife, and 11 Air Force personnel, Group Captain Singh won the Shaurya Chakra in August for courage in handling his Tejas fighter aircraft after it was hit by major technical issues during a sortie.

But he breathed last on Wednesday, Dec 15, 2021 in Bengaluru hospital.


"Group Captain Varun Singh served the nation with pride, valour and utmost professionalism. I am extremely anguished by his passing away. His rich service to the nation will never be forgotten. Condolences to his family and friends. Om Shanti." - PM tweeted.



No comments:

Post a Comment