The option for 'Nagas of Manipur' now is not to wait.
They should take a cue from ENPO and settle for an arrangement ... with New Delhi and within Manipur State. That will be forward march.
In schools we used to get assignments. Compare and Contrast between Aurangzeb's rule and the era of Akbar.
A few days back, I met a couple of 'north east experts' made in Delhi. As a proud northeasterner I had my doubts how much of north east did they really knew. Prejudiced ? Yes.
But there are reasons -- I have met experts in Delhi including in Press Club (especially when lunch and dinner is on house) - who say they know the north east region pretty well - because their father in law had served in Tezpur or they have been to a place called Kishanganj.
I had countered once rather foolishly - "Kishanganj is in Bihar". He was still unapologetic, a real Delhi-wallah !! --
He said all trains to north east and Assam go via Kishanganj. Next time, I thought -- I should suggest him to go to New Delhi's Platform No 15 because Rajdhani go daily from that location.
My expert friends also said, - "Can you compare between Eastern Nagaland and the Naga hills of Manipur?"
It was a real googly and a very complex matter to deal with. I was convinced, the friends need not be experts per se; but they at least knew the complexities of the subject.
The FNTA Bill was set to come for the Assembly session with a 'revised' draft as July 2026 was not conducive season. A rhetoric was pushed:
".... under the constitutional scheme, Legislative Power cannot be conferred on to FNTA through a State Legislation.
It was observed that the State Government does not possess the legislative competence to delegate powers equivalent to its own or to transfer a legislative authority to another body or authority." (DIPR, Nagaland)
Come Sept 1 (or Sept 3) - the power has been sanctified by some divine power or a tele call of a Joint Secretary - I am Sorry babu !!
I was not clear about all these. Still sheepishly, I said :
"When FNTA Bill is passed, it will bring in money and development and a few long term result-oriented projects".
I also added: "That eastern region of Nagaland is really a development starved area and there have been historical reasons of negligence".
The Naga-stronghold region or even Kuki-pockets in Manipur also have similar complaints; but whether any Authority or a new territorial zone should come is not something, I can decide. Issues are complex. The Govt of India will have to take a political call".
One 'expert' threw up a question - Do you think the hilly region in Manipur has missed that window of opportunity?
I said: "Actually that opportunity came via highway in 2019 and after. But it was snubbed".
The second expert/friend - looked more businesslike and he asked me
- "Do you say it is because the Nagas and the Centre did not sign the Naga peace pact?".
Luckily ... and suddenly there was a buzz on my mobile. My wife asked me : "What will you have for dinner Pabda fish or Bhindi".
I said - "Yes, yes ... I am coming". And I ran out of the room foregoing the liquor glass and pots full of pork momo and chicken noodles.
On return home after dinner I told my wife - "Your bhindi was delicious".
That's the "issue" or I am overstating this.
The Naga talks stand 'derailed and delayed' and the Status Quo club, Kohima protagonists and their 'friends' , the Neta club of Delhi and metaphysical intellectuals in Nagaland -- all are enjoying the present status.
Nevertheless, this is an occasion to compliment the eastern Nagaland people and their leaders. But in a broad sense, veteran S C Jamir had a lucid argument when he said:
"... It all has happened in one life for me…. Eastern Nagaland people joined us in the 1950s and 1960s deciding to be part of Nagaland state; and sadly, I am still around and they have parted ways".
S C Jamir is 95 year old now.
The Eastern Nagaland was earlier part of NEFA (Northeast Frontier Agency). The present geography of Arunachal Pradesh includes this.
There are still some Naga stronghold areas in Arunachal Pradesh.
In some ways; even 'Naga pockets of Arunchal' could be compared and contrasted with Manipur-Naga hills or FNTA region.
In February 2026 when the FNTA pact was inked in Delhi in presence of Home Minister Amit Shah; I had met Chuba Ozukum (of Global Naga Forum) in Kohima.
An old friend, he had sought to warn against partial agreements.
“FNT may have come, but Nagas are Nagas. We are one people. The spirit of Nagalim is in our veins. Signing peace pacts with A, B or C will not bring a solution. It must be inclusive and collective," he said.
All these need to be reflected upon.
Post Sept 3 (2026) could be called 'post truth' era ? I googled; and the response was --
'Post-truth' is a term that describes a culture or situation where objective facts and data are less important in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief.
We may take a pause. A few questions could be thrown out at ourselves --
Will the face of 'eastern Nagaland' change now that FNTA has come?
Will top politicians from 'eastern Nagaland' now stop investing crores and lakhs in Dimapur and instead focus on new buildings and houses in their native districts ?
The agreement and the new law will create the Frontier Nagaland Territorial Authority (FNTA) covering six districts -- Tuensang, Mon, Kiphire, Longleng, Noklak and Shamator.
It involves life and times of seven tribes - Konyaks, Sangtams,
Changs, Phoms, Khiamniungans,
Yimchungrus and Tikhirs
There is another vital question = but we may presume the answer actually lies in the womb of time.
The question is -- How would people of hills in Manipur and Arunachal Pradesh 'take' things when the FNTA will march towards greater glories ?
What will be the fallout ? Just as I reach the finishing paras of this blog - my mobile has buzzed again.
This time ... a Sarkari analyst says : If common Naga people in Aruncachal Pradesh and Manipur are not happy; how will they view post-2019 'politics' when a big fuss was made about -- four things.
One - Shunt out R N Ravi. Why he should speak about Extortion?
Two - Let us have a new interlocutor at the level of MoS. Then the great 'truth' of August 15, 2026.
Three - What's so special about the demand for Naga flag and Sovereignty - something no PM or Home Minister of India can give ?
Four -- What has happened to 'Naga unity' and should BJP-NPF and so-called "partyless" Govt be given credit or 'votes' in the next elections ?
NO ONE should allow themselves to be herded. If not, the future is opposite of brightness.
ends



No comments:
Post a Comment